What's new

Safety Razor Acquisition Thread.

Okay...'fess up. How many people, other than me, actually have tried shaving with the little-bitty handle on the Travel Tech?
i certainly have, but now i have more options and usually use a 4 piece open comb, or one of my Schick Repeating Razors for travel when i done have to fly. the travel tech worked fine, but i did get a bit of a cramp in my hand if i had not used it in a while. the travel tech was my first DE razor found in my late grandfathers stuff, now i also have a British one with a short aluminum handle.

star 2.jpg

So this is the latest and I hope the last. Who am I kidding right? New in box Star razor, set me back $50. The Star razors are as good a shave as any I have tried yet. Might be the best.

They are on the mild side but efficient enough for me without as much concern I might have with a New or Old type taking a bit too much skin off if I get hurried or use pressure.

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
View attachment 776952

So this is the latest and I hope the last. Who am I kidding right? New in box Star razor, set me back $50. The Star razors are as good a shave as any I have tried yet. Might be the best.

They are on the mild side but efficient enough for me without as much concern I might have with a New or Old type taking a bit too much skin off if I get hurried or use pressure.
Sweet!

View attachment 776952

That is one nice razor......

View attachment 776952

one of the very best mild razors. I have one in regular rotation.

View attachment 776952

Nice razor. :thumbsup:

Not that long ago, those apparently new ones in the box were going for around ten bucks a pop, wish I had grabbed a bunch of them. :sad:

Nice razor. :thumbsup:

Not that long ago, those apparently new ones in the box were going for around ten bucks a pop, wish I had grabbed a bunch of them. :sad:

Roughly how long ago Toby? My pricing knowledge only goes back a bit more than a year and I usually wonder how the prices were before I got in.

+1 and then some!

Bookworm said (and well put, I might add):
"...the entire purpose of that razor. To be picked up, used, and enjoyed. It's a tool, and to be properly appreciated, it must be used as such. To do otherwise would be to violate its entire existence."

I chose to clean up all of my razors. Part of that equation was sanitation, as the inside of a TTO handle harbors shaving detritus and is not appealing to retain. That argument holds for the cases that compliment each of the early Super speeds that I own. Secondly, there is that pride of ownership factor, as I use all of my razors, and they are simply not garage jewelry, which is a term I apply to trailer queen British automobile restorations. The MGB in my avatar will be fully refurbished, with only a few pieces of rubber replacing the original bits. The difference is that I will use my MGB certainly as it was intended- albeit more carefully than I did following college graduation. The restoration has been featured in two marque magazine articles, and it is thorough. I thank God daily for being alive... at my advancing age, your reflexes are just slower. Spirited driving is the term the British use.

I also keep my tools in good repair, as I want them to work as they were designed to do. I always use the adage-"a job is not done until the tools are put up." Dirty tools, I believe, offer no evidence of responsible ownership. If one takes care of their tools-the tools will take care of you. I mow three acres, so I use my two Husqvarna mowers as examples. When they fail, it is indeed a setback.

So there you have it- live your life and use your stuff- be a good steward of all that you have been given. Therefore, clean polish, and above all- use those razors as they were intended to be used by Gillette. God Bless! Tony Brown RN mgbbrown

Got a razor in the mail today. I think it's a Gillette NEW. Not sure since it has no serial or anything else on it. The head seems in really good condition but the handle needs some cleaning. Found it on mr razor I think.
How agressive is this compared to a r89 or r41 from muhle?
Since the head looks so good and the handle so dirty I cant but think that they dont belong together.

Attachments

• IMG_20170320_181858.jpg
    6.1 MB · Views: 21
Roughly how long ago Toby? My pricing knowledge only goes back a bit more than a year and I usually wonder how the prices were before I got in.

Two or three years, don't know exactly, but there were quite a few, like someone found a bunch in a warehouse somewhere.

Got a razor in the mail today. I think it's a Gillette NEW. Not sure since it has no serial or anything else on it. The head seems in really good condition but the handle needs some cleaning. Found it on mr razor I think.
Since the head looks so good and the handle so dirty I cant but think that they dont belong together.

English, I think they do belong together, it's just easier to clean the head.

1930-40 NEW in brown bakelite case England.JPG

Got my first Fatboy (E-4) with a case. The case isn't great, but at least it still has the spring loaded door. The fatboy's condition seemed like if they used it very little, or cleaned it really good. I am amazed, no trace of soap scum, or even a tiny hair in the plate tray.

IMG_0694.JPG
IMG_0695.JPG
IMG_0696.JPG

Top Bottom