What's new

The Parker Variant is Available!

That's what I first thought. Maybe someone else who has one will happen along and compare; unless, he's fallen in a well of course.

The variant I received does not have that mark inside the bottom plate/tray area. As noted in my brief review, mine was not perfect in finish, it has a couple of small machining blemishes on the handle and some rougher lines inside the bottom plate area. But nothing that resembles your picture.

@Timmy74, The top cap finish on mine has no observable flaws. (with the naked eye)

Last edited:
I had my third shave with mine this morning. The razor itself is very well made, I like the matte chrome finish, it is evenly applied with no obvious imperfections. The knurling on the handle and the adjustment barrel is very good and provides a secure grip in wet hands. The heft and length are adequate, my main razor was a Parker 99R which is longer and heavier so the Variant feels a little small. Having used TTO razors exclusively I find loading the blade to be a little clumsy. I definitely need to pay more attention when changing blades.

As for the shave, I am using a setting of 3-3.5 on my WTG and XTG passes. So far I feel that a 1.5-2 setting will let me do an ATG pass every day, something I don't normally do. I still need to play with the blade angle, the sweet spot seems a little narrow. Or maybe it's just me. I still need time to learn this razor. In any event it is a very smooth razor and I was able to achieve a BBS shave the second time using it and repeat it again today.

So far it seems to be a good razor and a bargain compared to the Merkur adjustables. If I can dial in the angle I will probably knock the Rockwell 6S off of my "to Purchase" list. Once I feel completely comfortable with it I will post a more complete review.

Glad you like it, I also think its a great adjustable for the price. It definitely delivers a smooth shave for me, and I have enjoyed using it this week.

It looks like some are experiencing some platting/finish issues though, at least on this forum. Mine had only minor finishing flaws.

That's a shame that quality of the product is a little suspect on a darn good razor. Perhaps Parker has some QC and production tolerances that have to be worked out. For those that have those issues with finish and quality, I'd suggest contacting the vendor SSR or Parker themselves and bring this issue to them. Maybe even an exchange or refund can be obtained. That's what I would try to do...

I'm going to have to re-examine mine for defects. There was a bit of play in blade alignment to contend with, but I'm getting better at that as it is an issue with a lot of modern razors.

The variant I received does not have that mark inside the bottom plate/tray area. As noted in my brief review, mine was not perfect in finish, it has a couple of small machining blemishes on the handle and some rougher lines inside the bottom plate area. But nothing that resembles your picture.

Thanks for the reply. I don't have a problem with the blemish as long as it doesn't become a point for corrosion and flaking. Parker warranty details are elusive.

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
Thanks for the reply. I don't have a problem with the blemish as long as it doesn't become a point for corrosion and flaking. Parker warranty details are elusive.
Did you see Timmy74's post above? He said they wrote him back and are sending him a replacement. You could try it too!

Kindly,
Adam

I may send Super Safety Razors the pic and see what they say. As I said, I don't care about the blemish as long as it doesn't become a problem after an unknown warranty expires.

Howie is the owner of Super Safety Razors and his company owns the Parker trademark so I think he owns some sort of interest in Parker. I had a problem two years back which actually was due to my error (ok, I put the cap on upside down on a Parker 91R). He offered to replace the razor when I complained about the shave. But then from the photos, he diagnosed the issue . I would be shocked if his service is less than fantastic here.

Howie squared things away promptly. I wasn't keen on sending the razor back for such a minor blemish so he offered to let me use it and if problems developed he would take care it. So, a good customer service experience. I'm looking forward to my first shave with it in a few minutes right after I cut my hair. :eek:

I gave mine a thorough examination this morning. Aside from a little swirl mark on the adjustment dial the finish is excellent. More importantly so is the shave. Thirteen hours later I am just starting to feel some stubble.

Howie squared things away promptly. I wasn't keen on sending the razor back for such a minor blemish so he offered to let me use it and if problems developed he would take care it. So, a good customer service experience. I'm looking forward to my first shave with it in a few minutes right after I cut my hair. :eek:
Glad it worked out for you. Parker and SSR mean business. Hopefully this type of customer service will be the standard for whatever issue may arise. :thumbup:

Nothing but positive interaction with Howie. His customer service is top notch.

Cheers
John

Had my first shave with it (loaded w/ a Polsilver Iridium and used Lime & Basil SS by Sapone Di Paolo along w/ my M&F Chief brush) and it was a great shave. I had it set on 3.5 for its maiden voyage.

Definite attention needs to be paid to loading the blade-do not do so while your hands are wet or slippery!!!!

I bought the black variant and it appears to be in good shape with fit and polish- however, how it shaves is most important to me and this is where it shines.

I enjoy it's heft most of all. The sound it makes as it mows down stubble is reminiscent of my Merkur 2000. You can definitely hear the whiskers being cut. The heft helps in reminding one not to use pressure-it's almost as heavy as the Mongoose but heavier than the King Cobra. The VISION was the heaviest razor I owned, but was extremely complicated to keep clean- The Variant is heavy solid and not just heavy because it can be built that way.

The setting was fine for my face and stubble; 2 passes w/ some buffing along my jaw on the right side and the shave was done. Getting the angle was tricky initially, but I soon had it dialed in. Looking forward to tomorrow's shave- will be using Mama Bears Clean Skies SS and my Canica Chubby.

marty

Mine didn't even show up.

I got a package with a packing slip for the razor. Instead of the razor there was a bunch of packs of Feather blades. I don't even really like Feathers.

Dang...

I emailed them twice earlier but no reply yet...

$IMG_20161230_170845.jpg

Top Bottom