What's new

Good Christian Men Rejoice

Good morning gents. As we of the Christian faith approach one of our two main holidays I was wondering if you faithful have a favourite Christmas carol. I am speaking to actual carols(hymns) and not necessarily secular holiday music though my favourite of those is Bing Crosby's White Christmas.

One of my absolute favourites is the title of the this post; In Dulci Jubilo or, In Sweet Rejoicing in English. Of course being of Celtic-Anglo upbringing I always heard it as Good Christian Men Rejoice. I know that in many circles of classical purists they do not care for the Anglicised version of the carol. I love it and have since I first heard it as a lad. And I have come to have a wonderful appreciation of the original in its Latin incarnation. It is so melodic and uplifting. I never tire of hearing it at Christmastide.

Another I really love is the Sans Day Carol or; Now The Holly She Bears A Berry. I did not realise this was a Cornish hymn. I first heard it one The Bells of Dublin by The Chieftains. The album came out in 1991 but i did not hear it till a few years later. I immediately looked into a bit of its history. I love this little carol. It is very easy to sing and sums up the season nicely.

Another favourite from the same album is Il est ne le divin Enfant. This is a French carol and though I barely understand any of the words the two girls who sing this on The Bells of Dublin make it sublime. I always imagine a bunch of young children bundled up singing this song on a street corner in some small city in France. I love its rhythmic cadence. What are your favourites?

Cheers, Todd

Last edited:
Veni Veni Emmanuel
Coventry Carol
Puer Natus in Bethlehem

to name a few
[FONT=arial, verdana, sans-serif][/FONT]
Celebrating Advent and Christmas without Sacred music just doesn't cut it for me

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
My all-time favorite is "I Heard The Bells On Christmas Day" by Henry Wadsworth Longfellow written in 1867.

I Heard the Bells on Christmas Day
Their old familiar carols play,
And wild and sweet the words repeat
Of peace on earth, good will to men.

I thought how, as the day had come,
The belfries of all Christendom
Had rolled along the unbroken song
Of peace on earth, good will to men.

And in despair I bowed my head:
"There is no peace on earth," I said,
"For hate is strong and mocks the song
Of peace on earth, good will to men."

Then pealed the bells more loud and deep:
"God is not dead, nor doth he sleep;
The wrong shall fail, the right prevail,
With peace on earth, good will to men."

Till, ringing singing, on its way,
The world revolved from night to day,
A voice, a chime, a chant sublime,
Of peace on earth, good will to men!

I'm also fond of the non-lyric version of "The Carol of the Bells"

Veni Veni Emmanuel

I've always loved this during advent, although as a post-Vatican II kid, I learned it in English. There was something about the dark, pensive melody that opens up at the refrain that really struck me.

O, Holy Night

Another beautiful song.

I think I would have to pick "Angels We Have Heard On High." Regardless of where I hear it now, it always takes me back to very happy times in my childhood.

I am also a big fan of "I Heard the Bells on Christmas Day." And "Hark the Herald Angels Sing" is also a favorite. :biggrin1:

Another ancient hymn is The Holly and the Ivy. Very similar to the Cornish hymn mentioned above. Another classic that is always soothing to hear. Particularly when played on flute or especially a tin whistle.

Cheers, Todd

Last edited by a moderator:
Here in the UK and being a true blooded folkie musician, I really enjoy the Sheffield Carols, which I doubt many have heard of. They are carols of the people, usually sung in pubs rather than churches. Many are well known but sung with less well known tunes.

My favourite, much sung around here in Gloucestershire is the older version of The Holly and The Ivy, which, of course, is almost pagan!

Starts a bit rough but soon gets a head of steam!

As a point of interest, the line "the playing of the merry organ" is a Victorian bowdlerised version of the original which was "the playing of the merry old gods"!

Nadolig Llawen!

Gareth

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom