What's new

Portuguese Shave Creams....

I have musgo real (which i have yet to lather and try) but im wondering about the others:
lavanada, top secret, and valeiro?

Anyone have any experience with them and can offer insight on performance and scent? I've looked through the reviews and they seem like good performers but usually the forum generates more responses and provides a better understanding of them.

Also, are there any swedish shave soaps? I see every other country in europe represented for the most part but i never hear anything about the swedes.

thanks!

I have some Ach Brito Lavanda cream, and it's one of my favourites. The cream has a kind of silvery appearance, and it easily produces a nice rich lather. And it smells great :001_smile

those were the only ones i was aware of. whats o melhor smell like?
Oscroft: whats the scent like on Lavanda?

Tried Veleiro, Top Secret, and Lavanda. All are good quality creams that perform just as well as most creams twice the price point. Easy to lather and provide good cushion and glide. Veleiro has the nice modern "aquatic" scent. Top Secret is more of a plain soap smelling cream with added lanolin, but still a good quality cream. The Lavanda has a really nice and unique lavender scent, and also added lanolin.

Almost all of the Portuguese creams that I know have lanolin! It's almost a must.

Veleiro -> "marine", aquatic scent
O Melhor -> something similar to Veleiro, but a little more "cologny", with a little musk
Lavanda -> earthy Mediterranean Lavender
Top Secret -> Rosy and woody, with a little musk
Men's Estoril Sports line -> soapy faint scent, almost unscented

Thanks for the info guys! I'm really looking forward to trying a cream outside of italian cream/croaps (although they are great)! And this just aids in my purchase decision!

I have both Musgo and Veleiro...I love them both. The veleiro makes my face feel great all day. I am really looking forward to trying the other creams. The Veleiro aftershave is also nice--GREAT menthol blast.

Top Secret is great and enormously conditioning. Nice mild soapy smell. I also find it is a great addition to any super-lather. I'm meh on the Lavanda, neither the scent nor lather do much for me but the Musgo is a top performer. A nice reasonably priced German cream that doesn't get much attention is Florena. Again, a nice mild scent and an all around solid addition to any den.

Veleiro and Lavanda were my top choices (as i have musgo), im glad to hear they're great!
Face&Head: Which vender sells the Florena, as i havent come across it yet? (preferably one that also has veleiro or lavanda)

i think this lanolin is amazing. had my first shave with musgo and after the first pass the water just ran off my face like a seals body! i think im in love with the stuff (i liked it more than poraso). and from all the reviews youve done oversaturn it makes it so hard to choose others to buy!

I think that the cheapest way to get the Lavanda cream at least is through The Portugal Online Shop. They sell it for about 3,5$ at the moment but since it's in Europe the shipping might make it expensive.

Thanks for the awesome site Unkas but with the shipping to the US it makes it about the same price as ordering from bullgoose/other vendors! Though i know where to look for the full lineups now and various other things that just are awesome! Also, i see your from sweden, are there any shave soaps from sweden that are good/where can i find them? (i have yet to come across anything from scandinavia in my browsing for shaving products)

Both PortugalOnlineShop (Miguel) or Bullgoose (Phil) are fine vendors. Just choose one of them - whichever you choose, you'll be in good hands ;-)

yah! i gotta gather the funds now as i need to add the musgo as and asb to the arsenal along with other stuff (suprisingly the SWMBO likes musgo!) so ill figure something out, but thank you a million for your insight on some amazing and very overlooked products from your home country! Also, what football team do you like (if you support football)?

oh and off topic from the shave soap and since you probably know (i hope); is there a difference between the musgo soap in the white box vs the green box (the actual soap bars)? one says Ach Brito and the other says Claus Porto so im assuming they're different?

oh and off topic from the shave soap and since you probably know (i hope); is there a difference between the musgo soap in the white box vs the green box (the actual soap bars)? one says Ach Brito and the other says Claus Porto so im assuming they're different?

They are the same soap. No differences whatsoever. Only the package is different.

The green one is the fancy package for the expensive shops; the white box is the economic package that sells in the Portuguese drug-stores and supermarkets. ;-)

Top Bottom