What's new

Nooder's Konrad releases this week

I just learned about a really intriguing deal from the folks at isellpens.com on the Noodler's Konrad releasing this week. While supplies last, they are offering a free bottle of Platinum Mixfree Ink with purchase of at least one Noodler's Konrad vegetal resin fountain pen. Those pens release some time this week and are up for preorder at Todd Nussbaum's site. If you're not familiar with Todd, he has been a retailer since before I started in the hobby five years ago. He offers some wicked good deals from time to time, and this is no exception. He makes clear you cannot be guaranteed your choice of the ink (it is free and an overstock situation) and you only get one bottle of ink no matter how many Konrads you buy.

The Konrads themselves are coming in three vegetal resin patterns for $24 each. The first is a brown with sort of brown tortoise barrel. The second is a blue with brown tortoise barrel. The last is a red pen with a swirled red barrel. These pens have also seen a limited release from Fountain Pen Hospital in ebonite and will eventually become a regular item in the ebonite for $40 each. I have an ebonite model and like it quite a bit. Most people I have read suggest it is a superior pen to the Ahab. It's the same semi-flex nib that the Ahab has in a slightly more slender piston filler package.

If you're inclined to not preorder or prefer not to order with Todd for whatever reason, the fine folks at Goulet Pens should have the pens available at about the same time. The same should go with whoever your favored retailer is. I do not have an affiliation with any of them other than having a short list of companies like the Goulets and the Nussbaums I like to throw business to when possible.

And this just became a reason for me to put in an order with isellpens, and get a few cheap pens for various co-workers. ^_^

I'm definitely interested, I have an Ahab it it's just a bit thick for me. I'd love to try a Konrad.

I like the isellpens offer of free Mix-Free ink. Do any of the Mix-Free inks besides black have any water resistance? That's important to me as most of my writing is in my journal. I like the offer, but the reviews I've seen of the ink are mostly "meh". Got any tips on a good Mix-Free color with water resistance?
Thanks!

isellpens is an awesome company, and this is an awesome deal. I just can't get myself worked up about another Noodler flex pen. But then again, I am about the only one that they don't work for. With my luck with the Noodler's flex pens, I would be paying $31 ($24 plus $7 shipping) to get a free bottle of ink and another non-working pen. If the Noodler's flex pens work for you, its a great deal.

I almost (and I mean almost -- don't go thinking I'm planning to do this) think somebody needs to consider a sideline buying up some Noodler's pens and getting them ready to go for those of you who are interested but are having trouble. Eventually, that could lead to a full scale web business. Would somebody pay $30 for an adjusted Konrad or $25 for an adjusted Ahab?

I almost (and I mean almost -- don't go thinking I'm planning to do this) think somebody needs to consider a sideline buying up some Noodler's pens and getting them ready to go for those of you who are interested but are having trouble. Eventually, that could lead to a full scale web business. Would somebody pay $30 for an adjusted Konrad or $25 for an adjusted Ahab?

Hmmmm. It is an idea that has merit. I am able to find the sweet spot on one ahab. But at the point where the pen is working correctly a slight shake causes the entire nib and feed to fall out. So someone who knows how to deal with that would save someone who doesn't know a bit of grief. I spent $10 to get a different nib to replace the flex nib just to get another ahab to work after giving up on flex. So why not spend an extra $5 to $10 to get a properly tuned pen in the first place? Unless you are a DIY curmudgeon like me.

Man, I feel like I'm repeating my TWSBI post. I'm not trying to be a crank, but how much of this is tweaking an instrument to get it to perform the way you like, and how much it is patching up a substandard piece of gear to get it to work? If you buy a Pilot, Platinum or Lamy pen at this price point, my experience is that they work well out of the box. What's the attraction?

Man, I feel like I'm repeating my TWSBI post. I'm not trying to be a crank, but how much of this is tweaking an instrument to get it to perform the way you like, and how much it is patching up a substandard piece of gear to get it to work? If you buy a Pilot, Platinum or Lamy pen at this price point, my experience is that they work well out of the box. What's the attraction?

In the case of the Noodler pens, I totally agree. Although I have had a pair of bad Lamy nibs and I have a Pilot Prera that skips. But yeah... my track records on pens should tell me that anything I buy isn't gonna work.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I like the color (bumblebee), its fatness, and the flex nib. For the first week it operated great, so I ordered the Arizona. Now all the tinkering in the world will only get either one of them to write well for a short time. Then they stop writing, tinker some more, starts writing, rinse and repeat. There always seems to be plenty of ink on the back of the feed, where it shouldn't be.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Let's see ... I'm thinking of buying a new car that needs to go to a mechanic's shop so that I will be able to drive it, but I also may have to work on it myself every time I want to go somewhere.

We're going to pick up a new TV but the shop says to let another guy work on it first because it may not function in order for us to watch it and even then it cuts out sometimes during the show but it's a great deal.

I'm sticking with my good pens, they just work.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Let's see ... I'm thinking of buying a new car that needs to go to a mechanic's shop so that I will be able to drive it, but I also may have to work on it myself every time I want to go somewhere.

We're going to pick up a new TV but the shop says to let another guy work on it first because it may not function in order for us to watch it and even then it cuts out sometimes during the show but it's a great deal.

I'm sticking with my good pens, they just work.
If I ever buy another Lamy (I have an Al-Star and Studio) I know they will write perfectly with no mess (unless I swap nibs, which isn't messy, really)

If those had been my experiences I wouldn't want one either, but mine have been good. I did post in another thread about replacing the nib on one but that's only because my Daughter dropped hers nib down, down a flight of stairs. After straightening and smoothing it still wrote but was pretty ugly and she uses the brush pen for her artwork more and the Ahab for writing.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Man, I feel like I'm repeating my TWSBI post. I'm not trying to be a crank, but ...

Well, sometimes things ought to be said.

Now, I'm not going to criticise someone for indulging his fancy for Twizbies and Ahabs, but we have to recognise them for what they are, and temper our adoration with a bit of "yeah, I know they are a pain in the butt to use, and we should warn the unwary away from them."

There's got to be some sort of satisfaction in finally getting your Ahab to "hit the sweet spot" and write like a charm ... but there's a lot of tinkering that goes into it. Now, I love Noodler's inks ... I've got close to a gallon of the stuff (over, if you use those wimpy US gallons) ... but still ...

Well, sometimes things ought to be said.

Now, I'm not going to criticise someone for indulging his fancy for Twizbies and Ahabs, but we have to recognise them for what they are, and temper our adoration with a bit of "yeah, I know they are a pain in the butt to use, and we should warn the unwary away from them."

There's got to be some sort of satisfaction in finally getting your Ahab to "hit the sweet spot" and write like a charm ... but there's a lot of tinkering that goes into it. Now, I love Noodler's inks ... I've got close to a gallon of the stuff (over, if you use those wimpy US gallons) ... but still ...

Very true, I wouldn't recommend one to someone who is new to Fountain pens based one what I've seen from others. Honestly if it was my companies name on those pens I'd charge a little more and make sure they were thoroughly cleaned of manufacturing debris/oil and that the nib was adjusted. Either that or sell it completely disassembled as a kit with the onus on the buyer to take all responsibility for the fit and finish.

I totally agree with you on the Noodler's pens. I have had at least one I every batch of flex pens including the Ahab, and could never get them to work out.
But, even with the occasional cracking of a TWSBI nib section, TWSBI, in my opinion doesn't belong anywhere near Noodler's on the quality scale! They are a FAR superior pen!

I totally agree with you on the Noodler's pens. I have had at least one I every batch of flex pens including the Ahab, and could never get them to work out.
But, even with the occasional cracking of a TWSBI nib section, TWSBI, in my opinion doesn't belong anywhere near Noodler's on the quality scale! They are a FAR superior pen!

I agree with this analysis. TWSBI is a company with what is hopefully a bright future figuring out a few things (like the exact formula for their material as we've seen with the 540 cracking). In ten years, they could be rivaling or exceeding Pelikan. They have stupendous customer service and contact with the enthusiast community. They're making their own products from scratch (save for nib and few companies do that).

Noodler's is a whole different thing. It's a creature of Nathan Tardif and carries his sensibilities which include an ethos that you should be able to fix your own pens and that your pens ought to be worth knowing a thing or two about. His pens include features and parts that should allow you to go into a hardware store and find what you need to fix the pens. Nathan and Luxury Brands aren't nearly as engaged in the community, are selling somewhat modified Indian pens for the most part, and expect you'll fix things yourself if there are problems to a scale much greater than TWSBI.

In this day and age, I see a lot of this in many of the other forums I visit as well. Chinese motor scooters come to mind. A guy said when he got his NEW scooter, that, "when you get new things, you expect to have to work on them". This made no sense to me. I totally understand a used pen, or a vintage pen that you have to "tweak". If something is "new" it should work. It doesn't have to be the best, but it should do it's basic functions. The pen that I had Tyler fix was a new ebonite pen, that should have worked out of the box, but never did. I don't think this is an indictment of any manufacturer, but maybe indicative of the way many of us expect things to be.....I don't know.

Marty

I actually find it very interesting given the shaving focus of this board that there seems to be more criticism of the Noodler's pens here than on FPN. By the same token, it probably makes sense. If I understand how you guys shave, it's a lot of hassle I wouldn't want to get into (I'm a full beard type of guy) but it's hassle you have chosen because it gives you pleasure. Some people fix up motorcycles for pleasure or keep bonsai trees. Some people shave the way you guys shave. Still others make a hobby out of collecting inks, fixing up vintage pen finds, or even messing around with low end pens which is what I think very much describe the Noodler's pens but also include things like Wality, Hero, Serwex, Kaigelu, Chelpark, orJinhao.

In the end, people just have different expectations about their hobbies. If you're coming at the Noodler's pen from the perspective of what is common at FPN for a new user: the student who bought a Pilot Varsity and wants something better for next school year, that's not the Noodler's pen. The Noodler's pen is for two demographics, I think:

1) Artists (as seen by the art contest and a lot of relatively unexpected to me Noodler's retailers)
2) Hobbyists

Other people on the whole just aren't going to be as satisfied with these pens. My impression of artists is that they are accustomed to putting work into their tools as a necessary evil of their hobby. Those of us who just love pens are also signed up for that type of thing.

Top Bottom