What's new

Pipe PIF #2 April 30th edition

My second PIF briar pipe offering. Anyone new to pipe smoking or wanting to switch from the cob is welcome, as well as anyone interested in learning to polish a pipe and not wanting to ruin one of their own.

This pipe is perfectly smokable as is, but would probably look fantastic if it was polished up really well. The grain (that isn't hidden by whatever wax they used decades ago) looks real pretty. It's got some decorative swirls carved into it, but has not label or markings besides those. I'll also include almost everything you need to get started. If you want to go to your local tobacconist and get acquainted with what they have to offer that wouldn't be a bad idea either.

Rules and whatnot... Just post and let me know if you want in or not, and also why you want the pipe. It doesn't matter why you want it, but it would be cool to know. I'll pick a winner around noon eastern time on friday. Cut off for entering is friday at 11am. I want the winner to start a thread after they win and let everyone in the brown leaf know what they did with it. If you try it and decide you hate pipe smoking that's fine, just tell us about why you didn't like it. I tried a cob myself 5 years ago and hated the pipe experience. Two years ago (year and a half if you subtract a 6 month break)I started up again with a briar (then quickly onto metal pipes)while I watched baseball. Don't really smoke the pipe unless I'm watching it. Which for 6 months a year is my loss.... anyhoot... Good luck!

Pipe Measurements:
just shy of 5.5" long, chamber is .75" wide, and 1.5" deep
$IMG_20120430_121430-1.jpg

$IMG_20120430_121443-1.jpg
$IMG_20120430_121519-1.jpg

Last edited:
I'd love to be considered. I'm really new to pipe smoking and I only have one pipe, so I'd love to have one more to start a rotation. Thank you so much!

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I'd like to be in. I would love to see how it comes out after some time on a buffing wheel.

Nice PIF, haiku! This is a great way to start pipe-smoking, guys...I almost quite after a cob too. The cheap ones are just too small to give a nice draw. This one will have no problems!

Thanks for the support. I really appreciate it.

I think it is worth investing in a $50 cheap but decent briar as a first pipe to make sure it's given a fair shake before being abandoned. But everyone has a different opinion about that. And I've met one guy (and heard of more) that will only smoke cobs, briars just don't do it for them. YMMV and whatnot, just my opinion.
Nice PIF, haiku! This is a great way to start pipe-smoking, guys...I almost quite after a cob too. The cheap ones are just too small to give a nice draw. This one will have no problems!

I don't know what the etiquette is about asking to be in PIF contests, since I just threw my hat in the ring on your last one Haiku44, but if it's not impolite I'd like to be in on this one too. I have a cob, but wouldn't mind trying out a briar. I looked around locally at antique shops for estate pipes, but didn't find much. I also like to tinker, so I would try my hand at restoring this one. Thanks for your generosity!

Yeah the avatar is my mostly blind cat Zatoichi sticking his tongue out at me. I'm sorry but I'm not going to PIF the cat next! Haha.

Why so long without a cat?

$IMG_20120430_190233.jpg

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Yeah the avatar is my mostly blind cat Zatoichi sticking his tongue out at me. I'm sorry but I'm not going to PIF the cat next! Haha.

Why so long without a cat?

View attachment 240010
I need to convince the wife I need to rescue one. I am thinking of going to the pet store and buying a mouse, then releasing it without her knowing. That is why she allowed me the other one. I got Jewel from someone who was moving away, she had all her claws, and you could NOT stop her from going outside when she wanted to. Last time I saw her, she was under the neighbor bushes, and wouldn't allow me to approach her. She was making all kinds of noise. I should have been persistant, because I bet someone poisoned her. If I ever find out that is the case, someone is going to meet my axe handle.

I don't know what the etiquette is about asking to be in PIF contests, since I just threw my hat in the ring on your last one Haiku44, but if it's not impolite I'd like to be in on this one too. I have a cob, but wouldn't mind trying out a briar. I looked around locally at antique shops for estate pipes, but didn't find much. I also like to tinker, so I would try my hand at restoring this one. Thanks for your generosity!

Entering more than one throughout the forums is fine and specifically encouraged by the OP in this instance, but if you win one it's best to let someone new have a shot. Starting your own thread asking for a PIF is generally considered poor form as well.

I need to convince the wife I need to rescue one. I am thinking of going to the pet store and buying a mouse, then releasing it without her knowing. That is why she allowed me the other one. I got Jewel from someone who was moving away, she had all her claws, and you could NOT stop her from going outside when she wanted to. Last time I saw her, she was under the neighbor bushes, and wouldn't allow me to approach her. She was making all kinds of noise. I should have been persistant, because I bet someone poisoned her. If I ever find out that is the case, someone is going to meet my axe handle.

That is how my last cat went. He had got in a fight with a dog and hid under the house... Man you just brought me down. Ha.

Mouse idea is solid though. Just make sure it's a male mouse and not one that might be pregnant..

Very nice PIF Haiku, and beautiful cat! I would love to be included in the PIF. I have a story almost like yours. About three years ago I wanted to try pipe smoking. I quit cigarettes many years ago, and enjoy an occasional cigar. I went into a smoke shop, bought a cob and some fragrant tobacco that was recommended, and did not like it. I think it was a mixture of a poor pipe and soso tobacco. But, I have been wanting to try again. I find myself drawn to the brown leaf more and more lately!

You're in! I wish I quit cigs. I'm taking in many forms of tobacco right now. Haha.
Very nice PIF Haiku, and beautiful cat! I would love to be included in the PIF. I have a story almost like yours. About three years ago I wanted to try pipe smoking. I quit cigarettes many years ago, and enjoy an occasional cigar. I went into a smoke shop, bought a cob and some fragrant tobacco that was recommended, and did not like it. I think it was a mixture of a poor pipe and soso tobacco. But, I have been wanting to try again. I find myself drawn to the brown leaf more and more lately!

I'd love to be included. I have one pipe that needs a polishing, but it's my only pipe and would love something to practice on first. Thanks!~

Folks- I've had the great pleasure of acquiring a pipe off this fine gentleman. Let me say that I couldn't be more impressed and satisfied. My vintage Demuth took about 10 minutes of buffing and piddling and it was ready for first light. I couldn't be more satisfied. Congrats in advance to the future winner.

Top Bottom