What's new

Replating service recommendations needed

captp

Pretty Pink Fairy Princess.
I'm considering having a seriously ugly Gillette Red&Black DE replated in gold. I just saw a replate from Razor Emporium (not gold) and it looked pretty good. Anyone have recommendations on them or other replating services?

I actually am interested in this information also as I have a 40's SS that I would like to get replated sometime in the future. I asked this question to Synack who had a replated NEW head for sale and he said that he's used www.safetyrazors.co.uk and Cooncatbob and that "whoever does Bob's plating does an excellent job".

I've seen Razor Emporium's site and I read on another shaving forum that a person did not like them at all but that was just one person's experience and YMMV.

As far as I know member Buddydog does replating. He has posted some of his replate jobs on here before. Do a quick search and see if you can find some. His razors always look amazing.

As far as I know member Buddydog does replating. He has posted some of his replate jobs on here before. Do a quick search and see if you can find some. His razors always look amazing.

Yes, there is him and also Bob's Razor Works or cooncatbob

captp

Thanks for the Wiki link. Excellent resource. I keep forgetting about it.

Reliable Electroplating and member Onotoman (safetyrazors.co.uk) would be the first two I'd check out. They're both in the wiki. I've seen excellent examples of their work.

I saw pics a while back of a replated toggle from razor emporium it looked amazing... I would go with them, I have dealt with them in the past and they were great

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
No experience with them (RazEmp) but I remember they were banned from here at one point.

Sorry if I'm mistaken, perhaps some mod can verify this.

captp

No experience with them (RazEmp) but I remember they were banned from here at one point.

Sorry if I'm mistaken, perhaps some mod can verify this.

I don't think anyone's ever been unbanned from B&B.

Could check your local custom bike stores to see where they get their parts done, ya never know you might find a platers on your very own doorstep.

I do not and never have offered a replating service.
I take my parts to a local brass shop and they take them along with their to a plating shop in Oakland, CA.
I've never had any direct contact with the plating shop.
You can contact them yourselves, but I'm in the custom razor business not the replating business and this topic has caused me to get e-mails for plating jobs which I have to answer and decline.
http://www.goldsealplating.com/information.html

I have a Fatboy being replated by Razor Emporium now, I will post pics when I get it back. Hopefully next week!!

Dale at Reliable Electroplating has handled razors for about five years. I phoned him a few months ago and we had a great conversation. I haven't as yet sent him anything, but I am given to understand from others that he does excellent work. He has experience re-plating razors in Rhodium, gold, silver and nickel. He company does re-plating, not restoration. That means that the black numbers are not restored on vintage Gillette adjustable razors and the like. The customer must do that for himself.

This thread reminds me that I have stuff to send him.

Doug

captp

Right, they are still banned. I checked. Not sure why they don't get the *filtered vendor* thing.

Banned and filtered are 2 totally different things. Banned are not necessarily filtered, but filtered are banned.

captp

I do not and never have offered a replating service.
I take my parts to a local brass shop and they take them along with their to a plating shop in Oakland, CA.
I've never had any direct contact with the plating shop.
You can contact them yourselves, but I'm in the custom razor business not the replating business and this topic has caused me to get e-mails for plating jobs which I have to answer and decline.
http://www.goldsealplating.com/information.html

Sorry about that, Bob. Didn't mean for that to happen, but thanks for the link.

Top Bottom