What's new

beef bourguignon

I am making Beef Bourguignon today. Anyone make this? Any suggestions? Recipe calls for a 1/2 cup of cognac, is there a cooking cognac anyone can recommend? Also a whole bottle of dry red wine is used such as a cote du rhone or pinot noir, i have been on a spanish kick for my wines lately so i amy try a nice dry spanish wine as a substitute.

I make this all the time. It is a classic and delicious dish. I only use the cognac to mix a bit of arrowroot to thicken the mixture. Most of the time I use bourbon instead. You could just use water but the bourbon or cognac does add a bit of flavor. Your Spanish wine will work just fine in this dish. There is no "cooking" cognac.

I would also check out Ina Garten' s recipe on Food Network. Say what you want about celebrity cooks, Ina is superb. I made her Beef Bourguignonne. Absolutely superb. About the wine though. I used a bottle of Pinot Noir(Cycles Gladiator) and it worked fine but is there a better choice? I mean, the Cycles was only $9.99 per bottle but if there is a better choice I am all for it. Price is a concern. I don't think you should dump expensive bottles of wine into stew. I am not a cheapskate, I just do not want to waste.

Regards, Todd

Thanks all, I did use the Barefoot Contessa recipe. I substituted brandy for the cognac. I made Spaetzle for the starch and served it with asparagus. Big hit. I would make it again.

I like the recipe from Jacques Pepin in the book he and Julia did together. I often do it over a couple of days to let the chuck really tenderize and lend it's flavor to the dish.

Top Bottom