What's new

Aqua Velva and Old Spice Deodorant

Would Aqua Velva aftershave and Old Spice Deodorant clash? I'm thinking of trying Old Spice Deodorant but I use Aqua Velva a couple days a week. I don't want to have clashing scents if you know what I mean.

Without wearing either one, you would think they would clash. But like Den said, there isn't always. Your particular body chemistry may alter the scents in a pleasant way, so there is no clash.

You would have to try them out, I think, to see what happens. Personally, I don't wear it anymore, just because it tends to dry up easily and get flaky on me, even if I just wear the deodorant version, which doesn't smell like the aftershave at all, IMO.

Would Aqua Velva aftershave and Old Spice Deodorant clash? I'm thinking of trying Old Spice Deodorant but I use Aqua Velva a couple days a week. I don't want to have clashing scents if you know what I mean.

If you think it clashes, you could still use it on the non AV days.

I mean, sheesh, you read this board, you have that cool of an avatar, and you would only allow a single deoderant in the cabinet. I seriously doubt that.
(Shamefacedly) I only have two at the moment. What's wrong with me, is the DOAD in remission or something? One of them is OS, of course. FWIW, I'll use it on the same days as AV and have never thought it was in conflict. Go for it.

We all know that guy who puts on WAY too much cologne because he can't smell it after 15 minutes... well, there are the deodorant guys as well. Oddly enough, Old Spice is the main culprit in my experience. I don't remember the number of times I have walked past co-workers and said, "Nice, Old Spice cologne today, huh?" The reply is, more often than not, "No, Burberry (or B&BW (insert color here) Elixir, or some other non-OS reference). "Really", I say, "I didn't know 'Brand-X' smells just like Old Spice". "Well", they stutter, "well, I guess I did use Old Spice deodorant today".

Yes, body chemistry has it's complications, but when it comes down to it, any mass market deo with a scent is trying to self promote. Where are the Old Spice scent-free sticks? Where are the Axe scent-free sticks? They don't exist because they market scent. Who cares if Axe keeps you dry all day long, if the girls five blocks down don't know you're on your way.

Want to be sure your pits don't put up a fight with your face? Get a quality unscented deodorant, there are some fine choices out there.

BTW... on days I only use witch hazel as an AS, I go for the scented deodorants, on days I use either a scented AS or matching cologne, strictly Mitchum unscented, or an alum stick.

Yes, body chemistry has it's complications, but when it comes down to it, any mass market deo with a scent is trying to self promote. Where are the Old Spice scent-free sticks? Where are the Axe scent-free sticks? They don't exist because they market scent. Who cares if Axe keeps you dry all day long, if the girls five blocks down don't know you're on your way.

Want to be sure your pits don't put up a fight with your face? Get a quality unscented deodorant, there are some fine choices out there.

Mitchum all the way! I don't even catch a chemical scent off that stuff!

I do not recommend mixing scents of any kind. Purity of scent is the way to go. The only scent I use these days is Old Spice cologne (sometimes AV). I use pure rubbing alcohol on my pits because I do not like gooey junk on my skin and I definitely do not want something overpoweringly smelly there either. I did try OS deodorant once and immediately washed it off due to the intense stench and gooey wetness. Anyway, even if I did use a commercial deo, I would by an unscented one. No offense to OS deodorant products; some guys like them but not me.

what if you use:

OS body wash
AV as
Brut deodorant

i'm guessing one might explode!:biggrin1:

Try to imagine all life as you know it stopping instantaneously and every molecule in your body exploding at the speed of light... Total protonic reversal!
To sum up, don't cross the streams! :lol:

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Works very well.
Has no scent to clash with anything.
A lot of folks here probably already own one.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
jeeze, are we close to starting a deodorant forum?

Phil - any irritation from that stuff? Is it available in drugstores (CVS, RiteAid)?

I actually bought it in a local "Health Food" store.
If you knew me, the idea of me even walking in to one would be stunning.
I got it as an alum block, and since I had it, and it was deodorant anyway, I said what the heck and tried it.
I like it. No smell, no stickiness, no T shirt staining, no clumped up pit hair, and for me, absolutely no irritation.

It may well be available in local stores, I have heard so, but it lasts forever and I haven't had a need to go look for more.

Last edited:
I actually bought it in a local "Health Food" store.
If you knew me, the idea of me even walking in to one would be stunning.
I got it as an alum block, and since I had it, and it was deodorant anyway, I said what the heck and tried it.
I like it. No smell, no stickiness, no T shirt staining, no clumped up pit hair, and for me, absolutely no irritation.

It may well be available in local stores, I have heard so, but it lasts forever and I haven't had a need to go look for more.

thanks - I will track one down.

I am an incredibly sensitive man, especially in my 'pits.

+1 on the crystal stick... Really works, lasts more than a year, no scent, no goo or slime. You do have to use it every day, and it is a deodorant, not an anti-perspirant, so if you stress sweat a lot it may not be for you. Get one at a health or high-end supermarket or online. Lots of brands, all the same stuff....

Top Bottom