What's new

Really BIG straight razors

I like large razors - razors that some would refer to as "meat choppers" or "axes". The biggest razor that I have in my collection is a Heljestrand No 134, and as far as I know this is about as big as they come... I enclose a picture with (from top to bottom) a Heljestrand No 134, a Filarmonica No 14 and a Wade & Butcher (The Celebrated).
Please let me see some other really BIG razors! ;-)

I consider 'meat choppers' to be 7/8+, wedge or near wedge grind, and usually sheffields, but ymmv.

Here are a few of my newer bigguns'

proxy.php

proxy.php

Picked this up a few days ago, haven't gotten around to polishing it up. Been considering getting a pro to do it. It's a 17/16ths Geo Westenholm & son.

Here are some of my bigger ones. I think only one of my big guys is not shown in this photo (8/8 Savage Wedge with Masonic Etch... under much staining). You don't really get an idea of the size, but the smallest one is the 7/8 Friodur in the fancy scales, and the largest is the just over 8/8 Greaves in bone "below" it. They go from the Greaves to the Friodur in size order.

In case anyone cares, they are: Greaves wedge, Savage wedge, W&B Barber's use wedge, John Marsh wedge, W&B Barber's use follow, Savage (reground to hollow), Filly 14, Joseph Smith & Son's wedge, Greaves quarter hollow, Friodur. When I say "wedge," I mean fuller than quarter hollow, but not a true wedge.

Last edited:

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
I have a few 13/16 but nothing bigger. The 13/16 do shave better. I will post some pictures later!

I really appreciate the pictures you have posted so far, so here are some more of my razors (size 6/8 and bigger). I hope you will like them...

RW "Titan" 9/8+ and an F. Herder 15/16. The RW was just sold and the F. Herder is in my "estate" collection as in Ill never sell it. Lastly, I got a 8/8 WB Wedge on the way.

Wow, the shadow on the RW made it look like it was ground like a 16th century halberd for a second. My eyes were about to bleed over how cool that was. Still a beautiful razor, but damn that was awesome for a second.

Wow, the shadow on the RW made it look like it was ground like a 16th century halberd for a second. My eyes were about to bleed over how cool that was. Still a beautiful razor, but damn that was awesome for a second.

I noticed the same thing and was thinking it was one very wicked blade until I realized it was just the reflection of the blue cloth on the blade. Well, it still is a pretty wicked blade even without being shaped like a halberd. :scared:

I tried several 7/8 & 8/8 razors in my first six months of straight shaving, but eventually went back to the 6/8 ones. I found the larger blades less manuverable (and therefore less enjoyable) to shave with. YMMV, as always

Top Bottom